● 1tbsp coconut oil
● 1 large onion, chopped
● 1 clove garlic
● 2 sticks celery, chopped
● 1 medium leek sliced
● 1 medium carrot
● 200g tin chopped tomatoes
● 1tsp dried mixed herbs or 1 handful fresh finely chopped parsley
● 200g (dry weight) brown or green lentils ( Lentils du Puy best)
● 1litre (1.75pints) water approx - depending on how thick or liquidy you like it!
● freshly ground black pepper
● fresh coriander to garnish
● Heat the oil and a splash of water in a large, lidded pan and steam fry the onion, celery, leek and garlic over a medium heat, turning frequently, until soft and transparent – about 8 minutes
● Add the remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly to combine
● Bring to a simmer, then turn the heat down and put the lid on
● Cook for 30 mins or so until the lentils and all the vegetables are tender
● Leave to cool slightly, then transfer half of the soup to an electric blender and blend until smooth
● Return the blended soup to the pan, stir well to combine and reheat and serve.
●Sprinkle with fresh coriander.